Saturday 1 November 2008

Change of pace

In response to the change of pace that the second year has brought, I am trying to work hard. Evidence of this is my attempt to complete a 2000 word assignment on the social history, successes, failures and struggles of the Welsh language. In about two hours I've written 618 words, but I've started to realise that about 400 of those consists of pretty poor paraphrasing of the information the Welsh Language Board's website spews out. Which might be (read: probably is) biased. Which I shouldn't be paraphrasing anyway.

I've also spent a fair amount of time distracting myself on the internet. I laugh at the mim talking about being addicted to the internet, but it's about time I realised I'm following the same path. It's not as if I go to any exciting websites, either. My favourites are the BBC news website, Facebook, my online banking, a website I use for a module I'm helping out with, Myspace, Gmail and my university intranet website. How boring can I get? Internet banking? Work-related sites? What a yawn.

A much more fun and definitely more stimulating means of distraction would be reading. I have an overstuffed bookshelf, approximately a third of the contents of which I haven't read. Haven't even opened. I like to think these are all books I picked up in charity shops on the cheap (and a great deal definitely are), but not all. Lots of them aren't. Lots of them are brand spanking new, and while I rarely buy at full price, I've still paid for them, and instead of furthering myself by reading them when I can't be arsed to write assignments, I go on the internet instead. This is because when I read I think I should be doing work. This is a total nightmare and I need to put these thought-processes into a Magimix and get rid of them altogether. I love reading. I hate wasting time on the internet.

On that matter, I am currently extremely pumped on reading the following:

The rest of Northern Lights, then the other two books
All ten of the Jeeves and Wooster books I bought recently. Yes, that's right: TEN books. In one fell swoop.
The Little Friend: I haven't yet bought it but I most certainly will be doing so shortly.

This is what else has been going through my puny brain lately:

What class of word is 'yes'? I really just can't work it out.
How did I not hear about The Wire until just a few weeks ago?
Should I go back to camp next year or intern(et) somewhere here?
Will the G1 phone take off?
At what length should I stop growing my nails?

No comments: