Saturday 27 December 2008

Cider

In the last couple of weeks I've made the unconscious decision to improve my knowledge of cider.  For years my primary experience of the stuff has been Strongbow-based, although during a summer of total indecency I did dabble with a bit of White Lightning, and along the way I've had one bottle of Magners which was remarkably vile.  I've always considered myself to be very 'into' cider, but my ignorance of the world of cider out there made me question this claim.  So, in order to become more learned and wise, I'm on a cider journey.

My first bottle was Weston's vintage cider, at 7.3%.  It had a hint of Magners about it (although that incident happened years ago, it's still to leave my taste-memory), but was really quite refreshing and mellow.  I didn't realise it was so strong until I drank two pints of it at the pub the next evening, the morning after which I felt like a sack of shit.  

While I was at the pub having those two pints, I also tried a bit of my friend's rum-cider (also Weston's, I think).  Maybe I was breathing out at the time, but on that first sip I didn't realise the absolutely revolting odour permeating from the glass.  It was, and this was confirmed by everyone in the group, unearthly, although if it's got to be earthly it's got to be a smell that's come out of a place directly related to a very poorly-maintained pig's toilet facility.  D.i.s.g.u.s.t.i.n.g.  But yeah, I didn't smell that at first so my initial reaction was based purely on taste.  That wasn't great either.

So next on the list were Sheppy's Goldfinch Dry and Aspall's Premier Cru.  I didn't get a chance to try either before my next visit to the pub but it was offering the latter, albeit at £4 a pop.  Knowing the barman allowed me to have a few of these, and they were absolutely cracking.  Light, refreshing, pretty strong (7%).  Yum.  I had a reasonably intense headache the next morning.  I've just opened the Sheppy's (10/10 for bottle presentation) and it's got that same Magners twang as the Weston's, but once you get past that it's also quite light and tasty.

So yeah.  I like cider (and discounts at the bar).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant mirrim! hahahah!

I'm still yet to have a cosmopolitan in Australia. I can't imagine it's going to be one of the top raters but who knows. I'll try and quaff one before i leave.