Tuesday 9 December 2008

Fuck Shell.

I last posted on 4 November.  Crimany.

The last month has been utterly absorbed by assignments, moments of sheer panic, disappointment, concern for the future and intensely excellent breaks from reality in Cardiff.  I've also used the time to make a few applications to get an internship next summer, but in both instances I haven't gotten past the gatekeeper.  What made me particularly mad, however, was an email I got back from Shell, outlining the things they were looks for in candidates.  It's these standards that they reckon I didn't meet.

Capacity: The intellectual, analytical and creative ability to learn quickly, identify issues, make judgements and propose solutions

Achievement: Enthusiasm, resilience and confidence - someone who can always get things done

Relationship skills: The character and ability to work effectively with others in a diverse team.

Technical candidates are also assessed on their Technical skills:  Understanding and approaching technical issues coupled with an enthusiasm for technical challenge.


I just don't understand how I don't meet those standards, especially when I'm compared with what will probably be the majority of applicants whose life experience is limited to a summer of temping between finishing sixth form with three A-levels and starting a degree.  I spent over three years working and perfecting exactly those skills that Shell seeks so desperately in their interns.  Where would people who went from sixth from straight to university get those attributes?  I know I'm generalising but I can't help but feel Shell have overgeneralised also: they're looking for people who fit into this totally archaic box that only fits students who followed everything their head of sixth form ever said about going into higher education to the very word.  So I did three years at sixth form - who cares?  These recruiters should be looking for people who make serious changes and personal sacrifices when they aren't completely satisfied with things.  All it means is that as well as knowing about English and photography, I have an AS-level standard knowledge of chemistry, biology, French and media too.  How can that ever be a bad thing?  Further, I will never apologise for realising how much of a financial investment university is, and therefore not going straight into a degree I wasn't certain I wanted to do.  So many people do this and realise what a mistake they've made when they come out with a worthless degree.  Instead, I moved away from home, stood on my own two feet and worked really hard for three years.  The feedback I got from my employers during this time was always positive, so positive that it made me think I should apply for these internships.  But because I don't fit into a model of conformity I don't even get an invite to an assessment centre.

FUCK SHELL.

No comments: