Friday 19 December 2008

Would

Apparently 'would' is a past-tense form.  When I was comparing answers for my coursework with my friend this morning my ignorance of this fact was laid bare.  I don't even understand why it's past tense.  I absolutely love grammar but I get the feeling now I've opened the grammatical pandorian box I'll never be able to go back to the days when verbs were doing words.  The more I learn, the more I realise there is I don't know, and it makes me wonder whether I should do syntax next semester rather than psycholinguistics which is bound to be absolutely amazing, or linguistic analysis in which I'll do my own research project.  Syntax looks solid but amazing.  

Today was the last day of term and I didn't even realise; I wrote down today's date but my head didn't do the festive math and compute that when I write 19th Dec, I'm 6 days from Christmas.  I'm not feeling even remotely festive; I am trying to remember whether I have bought the people who are going to get presents their presents, I'm calculating how much time I can reasonably spend working on Christmas and Boxing day and I'm intensely bummed at the absence of two of my favourite people on the planet.  

I am, however, pumped about the following festive components:

Getting the Paramore CD

The White Horse, Christmas eve

Inventive christmassy mushrooms

International phone calls on Christmas morning

Seeing how pumped my family are about the Christmas presents they expressly requested for (without lists I'm not sure what they'd end up with)

No comments: