Monday 22 September 2008

Day 2 in SF

This place is ace! Last night I met a load of other people staying at the hostel and drank an entire bottle of wine. I didn't eat dinner and the cheese didn't show up until about 10pm, by which time everyone was hammered. It was great and I laughed a lot. This morning I got up really early to make my way to the ferry terminal to get to Alcatraz. My hangover and lack of public transport knowledge saw me flagging down a cab.



The island was good, it is weird to think that it was a prison once. It was quite touristy and the staff were rather stern (paid actors, perhaps?), but it was an interesting place to visit. From the island I got the most incredible views of the city so far - I could see from one end of the city right to the other, where the Golden Gate Bridge started. It looked so big that I didn't think I'd ever be able to see all of the city.


When I got back I walked to Chinatown and up loads of hills and up Grant to the Coit Tower - AMAZING VIEWS! It was just totally immense and it meant the epic walk so worth it. You could see so much: the Golden Gate, other land across the water, so so much! It was a very 'wow' moment.






After chilling there for a bit, I walked down to the bottom and then climbed up Lombard Street; that was exhausting.

Then I walked to Fisherman's Wharf and fell asleep on the grass for a bit. I was so shattered I took the tram home and chilled at the hostel that night.

No comments: