Monday 22 September 2008

Day 7 - travelling

I'm currently on the plane to San Francisco. Yesterday was spent catching up on things I'd meant to do - I ate a pretzel, walked on the Brooklyn Bridge, went to the Jewish Heritage Museum (which was really, really excellent and made me cry). I got back to the hostel at about 6pm and, after packing, treated myself to a Ben & Jerry's. I'd bumped into Lucy earlier outside the Apple store (where a lot of this story seems to take place); it was great to see a familiar face.

I think that although I have enjoyed being able to go at my own pace, maybe the reason I didn't have the amazing time I'd hoped was because I was there alone, plus the fact that I was exhausted after camp and kind of wanted to go home.

Anyway, after the Jewish Heritage I walked along the Hudson to the Brooklyn Bridge, walked to the halfway point, took some snaps then walked back. I took the subway to Times Sq to return something, managed to get a free Jamba Juice then did some walked around 5th Avenue.

I'm still feeling pretty neutral about SF, but I know that I should be feeling really pumped and that I'm so lucky to be going. Although I am looking forward to going home, I am more excited than I was about the tour.

----

First impressions of SF: everything is different, it's ace! I like all the buildings - on the drive from the airport even though the areas we went through weren't amazing, the houses looked beautiful. It feels really nice to be close to the sea, especially when you can go to the top of one of the hills in the city and see it. The hostel seems really nice too - although the NY hostel was nice, it didn't have a lot of character. Here, though, seems really different. The staff is all really young, there's music playing, and it just seems nicer. At the moment I'm sharing a 4 bed room with one other girl who seems nice. The room is clean, and the hostel itself is about 5 minutes on foot from Union Square and loads of posh shops. I had a wander around Union Sq for a couple of hours, and am looking forward to tonight's cheese and wine night.

No comments: