Monday 22 September 2008

Day 6 in NY

Today was more chilled. I ate breakfast at the hostel, then walked through Central Park to the Guggenheim. However, owing to the absence of a map or any navigational skills, I ended up at the top of the park, at 110th St. I walked down to the museum from there. There was a big exhibition on Louise Bourgeois all up the spiral, with items from the main collections in rooms at each level. She had made some very cool hanging sculptures and somescary looking enormous spider sculptures. It's mental that she's still so active.


After I left the museum I walked a little around the Upper East Side, just to the subway. I rode down to Bleeker Street with the intention of going to Katz's Deli, but when I arrived it was frantically busy, so I opted to eat in a café I'd passed earlier. I had a delicious a very cheap breakfast ($3 for 2 eggs, toast and homefries), and they had a great cake selection which I took advantage of. I left the café and walked into the Lower East Side and through the East Village, eventually getting to the Strand bookstore (I'd been told about the store while in another bookstore in the UES. In this store I'd had a look at a signed, first edition of In Cold Blood. It was a Dear Diary moment), where I bought Woody Allen's complete prose and Blindness by José Saramago. I walked from the store to Union Square where there was an ace food market taking place, and read there for a while. I decided to walk up to the Flatiron Building, but again owing to my lack of on-board GPS, completely missed it. I subwayed to 57th &5th and sat in the park for an hour, at first on the top of this hill, before getting scared by a man shouting about killing babies. I went back to the hostel, grabbed some dinner and chilled. Chilling is good.


I've missed home today and am looking forward to going back. It feels weird to think that I haven't seen anyone I know in over 2 months. I am feeling quite numb and neutral about the rest of my travelling, but am constantly reminding myself that I'm on HOLIDAY. I am forcing myself to be more pumped; I think I'll be moreso when I get to SF - NY is draining.

No comments: