Monday 22 September 2008

Day 3 in SF

Today can be summed up in one word: walking. I took the bus to a street near Ocean Beach, and walked to Louis' Diner. I had an amazing breakfast with the most incredible views of the ocean and Sutro Baths. After stuffing my face (washing it down with some Dr. Pepper),




I walked down to the old baths to look around and take some snaps. From there I walked to Ocean Beach, watched some surfing, reacquainted myself with Dashboard Confessional and continued walking until I reach Golden Gate Park. It was absolutely roasting so I was glad to find myself walking alongside some water sprinklers. The park is beautiful and absolutely enormous - I walked for 2 hours before reaching the MH de Young Museum. I had asked a gardener at the park how to get to the Japanese tea gardens but he insisted I go into the museum to see the city from the top of the tower. I did, and how glad I am.

After leaving the museum I walked up to Clement Street to go to the Green Apple Bookstore. They have a pretty impressive collection of used and new books on pretty much every subject going.

On leaving the bookstore, in an attempt to get to the Presidio and from there the Golden Gate Bridge, I went up a series of dead ends. Eventually, after consulting my long-ignored map, I found the way. Or, one of the possible routes I could have followed, but one which nobody else seemed to know about. There wasn't a path and the cars drive pretty fast on that road, but I had it to myself and there were some great views. I stopped a couple of times along the way, and eventually reached an established coastal trail to the bridge. A sigh of relief might have been heard at home when I finally saw it behind the trees.




After trekking all day I didn't have the energy or inclination to cross the bridge, so took the bus home. I met Swiss Chris who IS Ed Red, hung out with Giovanna then went out for dinner with both of them near the hostel.

No comments: